Graphic organizer anyone? I love a T-Chart, KWL, Word Diagram, Tree Map, or Bubble Map in the classroom! Graphic organizers are a powerful tool for students to extend and deepen their understanding in the classroom. Graphic organizers allow students to … Continue reading
As a former reading teacher, I am always looking for ways my students can become better readers. One of the ways they do this is become exposed to as many words as possible and look for words everywhere! Have you … Continue reading
Using new vocabulary words in our daily lingo is a fast track way to making these new words a permanent part of our personal dictionary. So how do we help students use their new vocabulary on a daily basis? The … Continue reading
Vocabulary is one of the most important parts of science and social studies instruction. Students who do not know the meaning of words or have the background knowledge to make connections to, struggle the most with science and social studies. … Continue reading
Merry Christmas everyone! I hope the holiday has found you in good health, surrounded by loved ones, and blessed beyond belief. I have a small (late) Christmas gift for you!
My fifth graders loved our last book study so much, I knew I had to get another great book into their had. The book Shooting the Moon by Frances O’Roark Dowell is a great read about a young girl whose brother goes to war in Vietnam. She is so excited for him, at first, but has a change of heart when he starts having her develop film for him.
This book packet is meant to help students reading the book independently or as a group better comprehend the story, make connections, and think about the order of events more closely.
I created this packet specifically for my students, so somethings are specifically done for my class (question types change throughout the packet, summaries are focused on during reading of book, book report / response to literature is completed digitally and is not included in packet). For these reasons, this packet is currently FREE! Take advantage of it while you can!!!
As I continue to share new products, especially the vocabulary packets, I want to highlight a different part of the packet each time.
Today’s packet is over World War I and the piece out of each packet that I use no matter what is the interactive notebook pieces.
I have used these two different ways. 1. I have students cut out the pieces with the word and definition attached. We then fold them and glue one side down. We write the word on top so that they can see the word, try to remember the definition, and then flip it open to see the actual definition. 2. I have students cut out the definition and put a post it note on top of it (like pictures).
The Georgia Standards of Excellence are being taught this next school year and that means more changes. Luckily for fifth grade there are not a ton of adjustments to be made. I have updated four products to include these new … Continue reading
Years ago I had the pleasure of going through some training about different learners and how they learn. I have also had a good bit of training on interactive notebooks. Between the two I have come to LOVE having my … Continue reading
I have added several new items to my Teachers Pay Teachers store! These items are all fifth grade mostly because of my new position in fifth grade…so if you are looking for:
- Math Standards Posters: These simple posters are great for any classroom theme! Simply print and mount to any color paper, then laminate! Super easy and super flexible when it comes to matchy-matchy classrooms.
- Social Studies Standards Posters
- Science Standards Posters
- Interactive notebook science standard, can do, and EQ: I love these interactive notebook additions! They include each standard with the achievement indicators (beginning learner, developing learner, proficient learner, and distinguished learner) so students know how to best learn the standard, and a place to write the essential question. I love to have students try to answer the EQ before I have taught anything, then draw a line (we call it the line of learning). After the standard has been taught I have students answer the EQ again under the line! This allows me and the students to see the growth of their learning, misunderstandings, and reflection of the week!
- Interactive notebook social studies standard, can do, and EQ
- Interactive notebook science set up kit
- Physical science vocabulary: All of my vocabulary is interactive! Cut out the word and definition attached, then fold it into a little booklet with the information on the inside. Have the students write the word on top and quiz themselves on the definitions! It is super easy, and fun! Plus the parents always compliment this simple entry into the student notebooks.
- Life science vocabulary
- Earth science vocabulary
- Characteristics of science vocabulary
- Teach 5, 1st nine weeks: Teach 5! This was the first thing I began working on when I heard about my move to fifth grade…I cannot begin to emphasize how important Teach 5 is in my classroom! This is a spiral review of the math standards. It is leveled and easy to differentiate in the classroom. Plus I have a free Teach 5 Set Up kit that lets you know how to make your own Teach 5!
Yes, I have been busy creating, but I have also realized that with my first baby on the way I will not be able to make everything myself. I have purchased many items on TPT and found tons of FREE stuff to help me!
Teachers, what are you doing with your summer?
As a third grade team we have started to discuss how we did on last year’s GMAS (If you aren’t sure what that is take a look at this). We have discussed how a great spiral review in mathematics really seemed to benefit the students and keep all of their learning in their minds.
I use Teach 5 to do this with mathematics. To learn more about Teach 5 read some of my older posts about it and take a look at these resources.
One of my coworkers found this great resource for social studies today.
We are still on the hunt for a great science spiral review for third grade Georgia Performance Standards. If you know of one comment with a link to the product. I am open to all things at this point. That or I am going to have to make one!