Years ago I had the pleasure of going through some training about different learners and how they learn. I have also had a good bit of training on interactive notebooks. Between the two I have come to LOVE having my … Continue reading
My heart is screaming, “Keep Calm and Make it to Christmas Break” right now. I am writing my December newsletter at school and noticed that there are a MILLION things happening in my classroom in the next 15 days of … Continue reading
Teaching fifth grade this year means I am creating a TON of stuff…it is exhausting! I just finished the second nine weeks worth of Teach 5s last week and you can find them here. If you are not sure what … Continue reading
I have been working on some reading packets for some of my favorite books. I just finished a packet for Flat Stanley’s Original Adventure and it can be found here.
I’m currently working on a packet for Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Judy Blume was my favorite childhood author) and Goblins in the Castle (if you haven’t read this Bruce Collins book you really must…so much fun to do the voices!).
I have added several new items to my Teachers Pay Teachers store! These items are all fifth grade mostly because of my new position in fifth grade…so if you are looking for:
- Math Standards Posters: These simple posters are great for any classroom theme! Simply print and mount to any color paper, then laminate! Super easy and super flexible when it comes to matchy-matchy classrooms.
- Social Studies Standards Posters
- Science Standards Posters
- Interactive notebook science standard, can do, and EQ: I love these interactive notebook additions! They include each standard with the achievement indicators (beginning learner, developing learner, proficient learner, and distinguished learner) so students know how to best learn the standard, and a place to write the essential question. I love to have students try to answer the EQ before I have taught anything, then draw a line (we call it the line of learning). After the standard has been taught I have students answer the EQ again under the line! This allows me and the students to see the growth of their learning, misunderstandings, and reflection of the week!
- Interactive notebook social studies standard, can do, and EQ
- Interactive notebook science set up kit
- Physical science vocabulary: All of my vocabulary is interactive! Cut out the word and definition attached, then fold it into a little booklet with the information on the inside. Have the students write the word on top and quiz themselves on the definitions! It is super easy, and fun! Plus the parents always compliment this simple entry into the student notebooks.
- Life science vocabulary
- Earth science vocabulary
- Characteristics of science vocabulary
- Teach 5, 1st nine weeks: Teach 5! This was the first thing I began working on when I heard about my move to fifth grade…I cannot begin to emphasize how important Teach 5 is in my classroom! This is a spiral review of the math standards. It is leveled and easy to differentiate in the classroom. Plus I have a free Teach 5 Set Up kit that lets you know how to make your own Teach 5!
Yes, I have been busy creating, but I have also realized that with my first baby on the way I will not be able to make everything myself. I have purchased many items on TPT and found tons of FREE stuff to help me!
Teachers, what are you doing with your summer?
It has been awhile. I know. There are reasons that I will be sharing soon, but not here. I am leaving Shining the Light in Third Grade and moving to a new blog! It’s a Ruff Life can be found here. I would love to have you all join me in my new journey with this new blog. Please come check it out and follow me!
Life is not easy. So many times it feels like we are walking on the edge of a cliff with no other options but to jump and hope that something will catch us. One thing after another goes wrong at … Continue reading
Oh Lord, Today I am offering the only thing I have…my heart. Help me to surrender my heart to you completely. Focus my heart on you. Synch my heart to yours and allow the desires of my heart to be … Continue reading
I just finished reading Fight Back with Joy by Margaret Feinberg. My husband brought this book home from the Catalyst conference back in October and I have read it slowly because it was a tough read.
Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:
- God is an unconventional teacher.
- Practicing defiant joy is the declaration that the darkness does not and will not win. When we fight back with joy, we embrace a reality that is more real than what we’re enduring and we awaken to the deepest reality of our identity as beloved, joyful children of God.
- Jesus arrives in joy, departs in joy, and calls us to great joy through fellowship with him.
If you have ever walked through a tough time, or maybe your in one right now, this book will give you a new perspective. Today I will find joy, despite what my situation.
The Compassion International trailer was in our town last week. This trailer allows people to experience being in another country without leaving the country. You are able to walk through the lives of two students that have been sponsored by Compassion International donations.
Kyle took some of the students from our youth group and adopted one of the students from Africa. His name is Nardos. I spent some time today making posters, prayer cards, and reminders to pray for Nardos.
I also made posters for our youth center and hangout room. We will be able to add the letters that Nardos writes to us and have a drop off basket for our students to leave letters to send to Nardos.
I can’t wait to get these back to curve and set up. I’m so excited to see our students take on the task of funding Nardos through Compassion International and encouraging him through letters and pictures.