At the beginning of 2015, some teachers on my hallway wanted to start a ladies bible study. Six of us ladies committed to reading through and discussing a book together. We landed on the book Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow.
This great book is full of words of wisdom, testimonies, and commentary on scripture to help women reach contentment. As each A-type personality woman knows, we are anxious, worriers who want every step of life to be clear and fully known in advance of needing to take that step. We do no like to not have a plan. We want to know what to wear, where to be, at what time, and with what in hand.
This book helps to establish content hearts in each reader, and truly I found it to be very helpful. Here are some of my favorite insights:
- Each of us has a choice about how we look at life: We can focus on the mud or lift our eyes and see the stars.
- God’s plan for you and His plan for me embrace far more than the events or circumstances that happen to us.
- Much of our discontent and lack of peace comes from our expectations in our relationships.
- When we spend precious time worrying about what might happen, anxiety becomes negative baggage that weights us down, saps our energy , and leaves us ineffective.
- Faith rises us above our circumstances. Faith enables us to be content even when life doesn’t make sense. Faith is the bulwark that keeps us strong even when we’re assailed by agonizing thoughts about what might happen or by what has happened. Faith is a vital component in our relationship with God an in our ability to be content.
I could keep going with pieces of this book and preach it to you, but I won’t. If you struggle with anxiety and not being content, please consider this book.