We had one of the ugliest mailboxes. It was a nasty light gray color covered in pollin and dead bugs. It’s slightly dented from where teenagers have driven down the road and hit it with a baseball bat. And worst of all it has our house numbers scrawled on it by the mail carrier in washable marker, so every time it rains it runs down the side. I know you want to see a picture but I forgot to take one before the initial cleaning.
So as apart of my spring break I did a mailbox makeover without buying a new mailbox.
- Clean the mailbox really well.
- Let it completely dry.
- Use painters tape to wrap the flag if you cannot remove it. If you can remove the flag, then do so.
- Spray paint the mailbox with an outdoor spray paint. This may take several coats. I would add a coat every thirty minutes.
5. Next I used my cricut and vinyl to cut out our address to put in the box.
6. Then I used a cheaper vinyl (not on purpose) to cut a “R” out.
7. Then I sprayed it with a clear coat to seal it all. The cheap vinyl didn’t like that and actually pealed off. But it left the “R” very faintly. So…
8. I used an acrylic paint to brush on the “R” and finish it off
I still need to paint the flag red but I didn’t remember to grab that stuff while I was at the store and mail doesn’t stop coming, so I had to return the mailbox to its post. It looks a thousand times better than before!